Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3903 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I appreciated the advice, even if it wasn't meant for me, and would welcome critique.

1. Slow cadence trying to keep the heart rate low
2. faster cadence on the road bike after about 30 minutes riding.
3. Fast on the fixed gear after close to an hour of riding. Pretty wiped out at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEidzsXrYIU
I should have also mentioned the foundation roller workout - high cadence or FastPedal. Start with 15' of zone 1. Then put the bike in a low gear, I think 39 X 23-27 should work for you and your set. Attempt to pedal continuously at a cadence of 115-120, while staying in zone 2. That last is the reason for the low gear. If you bounce at high cadence, back it off until just below bouncing and work at figuring out how to stop the bounce. The usual advice is to keep the feeling of a cushion of air between the bottoms of your feet and your insoles. I allow myself to feel the insole only at the bottom of the stroke. Focus on feeling the shoe uppers and heel cup.

Maintain your maximum zone 2 cadence for between 15 and 45 minutes, no break. The no break is very important. Then finish with another 15' of zone 1 to let your legs go down.

Or maintain that high cadence until your legs start really hurting or you see your HR ramping up even though your cadence is steady. When one is in good condition, this is an excellent recovery ride, as it stresses and energizes the legs without stressing the aerobic system. Training stress score will be fairly low, maybe 50 or less.

I do this workout once a week for most of the year. Sometimes in the spring, I'll substitute the one-legged pedaling.