Old 03-17-21, 02:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
Any trouble getting getting the SS coupled bike all the way into the SS backpack?
Originally Posted by headwind15
I did not know it but being short has it's advantages. For years I was caught up in the whole "how to not get stuck with oversize baggage fees" issue. I built these S&S coupler (pain in the ass to pack) bikes, and even came up with my own patented take apart system. At some point I figured out that if I cut down a bike box to just the right size, I could fit my frame in it and still be under the 62" limit. It might be difficult to fit much bigger than a 46cm/ 18" frame in the box though.
IME packing an S&S coupled bike (60 cm C-T) is tricky, but not all that difficult. Unpacking takes 45 minutes to an hour, while packing takes me 50 minutes to an hour and a half. If I haven't taken it anywhere for a while, it takes a while to remember how the fork and (drop) bars go in just so. There's a trick that makes it trivially simple, but I haven't figured out how to document that in a picture yet. I normally dismount the front tire, so that TSA doesn't dislodge the struts when they open things up to inspect it.