Old 10-29-21, 10:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
Looks like your intervals were at around 92 cadence. When using erg, just get your gear selected and cadence and let the system catch up. It should feel the same. In erg mode you can just chug along and the trainer will adjust power as the interval requests and there's no need on your part to do anything but meet the resistance the trainer makes.
My cadence depends on how I feel and what kind of effort I'm doing. Sometimes it takes me a little bit of time to settle in to how I want to skin a particular effort. The easy 12 minute efforts? Yeah, low 90s is comfortable. The 1m efforts slightly above FTP at the end, though, I prefer to be slightly higher, closer to 100.

And I know that it should be the same and, with my penchant for hunting for the right cadence, ERG should be beneficial... but it just doesn't shake out that way for me. If my stop for a second to adjust myself and my cadence drops, the trainer'll jack up the resistance and I'll momentarily feel like I'm a sled dog, trying to break free some runners that are frozen in the ice. If my mind wanders and my cadence increases, the trainer adjusts, making it easier and I spin even faster until consciously slow down. But none of these are seamless and transparent for me, even on the micro side of the scale, so I'm adjusting, waiting for the trainer adjustment, then adjusting again. In dumb-dumb mode, if I need a little more power, I spin a little faster. If I need to adjust myself, I do so and then I spin back up. My cadence doesn't tend to need as much attention to keep from wandering, either, because it's more obvious to me that the effort is harder or easier. *shrug*

I'm not saying that others shouldn't use ERG, but it's pretty obviously not for me.