View Single Post
Old 03-29-22, 09:11 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I think you are worried needlessly. Obviously I can't really judge the propensity for your bike/trike to be stolen in the area where you live since I don't live nearby and know the area. However, recumbent trikes are not as much a target as regular bikes. First, they stand out like a sore thumb. It's not something you can pick up and walk away with even if just one wheel is locked securely. If you are going to steal a bike, stealing one that would be hard to sell and easily identified is a poor choice. The picture above shows a trike with a single chainring which tells me this is one of the entry level models. That means entry level components, many of which are not usable on anything else but this trike. The ones that are, don't have a lot of value on the used parts market. Bentrideronline has a subforum for stolen trikes. Lots of trike riders there but very few posts in that category over the past few years. It's wise to lock the trike in plain view and not leave if for hours unattended. I have no problem locking mine long enough to go into a grocery store and shop for what I can carry on the trike. Been doing that for 20 years now on trikes that are far from entry level. Nobody has ever taken anything from any of my trikes. Went to the PO yesterday and left the trike locked in plain view in front of the building. I didn't even bother to hide my daytime running lights. Not much use to anyone as I modified them so you can't simply attach them to a regular bike. Would not be much of a loss anyway as a new set is only $10 and I have spares.