View Single Post
Old 05-06-22, 02:41 PM
Antergos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hmmmm, tempting to reply in different post to all you guys to quickly get my post count to 10, but I'll behave.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
This looks like a very stiff frame. The top and down tubes are oversize and according to spec sheet, also oval. I believe the "Visual Spline" refers to a stiffening flute, similar to Colnago Gilco tubing. I don't think this is too far off the mark as other forum members have referred to slightly later versions of FM1 as being Miyata's version of Columbus Max. Very stiff frames feel remarably responsive on short rides but can fatigue you on long rides. If you're looking for a comfortable ride, this may not be the bicycle for you.
Thanks for your very helpful insight! I don't really know what I'm looking for as I am relatively new (as in only ridden 1 roadbike). I don't really know if I'm going to like it if I don't try so that is where your helpful help and that of others end. I just needed to know if it would be an okay buy on the technical/mechanical side of things and ofcourse +- what characteristics I could expect. I hope I will have some money saved soon and that that particular KM is still available.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Antergos already rides an aluminum Koga-Miyata Exerciser with an aluminum (non-aero) fork, albeit a lower-level one that's a bit small, and says that it's a blast to ride, so aluminum as a frame or fork material isn't an issue.
The '87 model is still Miyata FM2 CrMo, so it probably is a lot more flexible. That said, I'd like to try out a stiffer frame and if it is not to my liking I can either sell it again, or better yet, buy another for a softer ride and have this one for when I'm feeling extra racey.

To answer what, at this point, is the only question in the opening post that hasn't been addressed, the aero aluminum fork that was used for the upper-end models seems unlikely to offer any significant or perceptible benefit compared to the non-aero aluminum fork on the Exerciser model. Might be a bit lighter, given the price points. Or not. My guess is that the aero fork was added as a marketing tool to help justify the higher prices of the upper models.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks for the info! That was also my guess, but was not sure.

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Sorry, my fault. *the usual problem*
I'm Dutch.
It sure is, but wasn't a problem in the first place as I know what you meant, it was just an FYI type of thing.
Likes For Antergos: