Old 07-24-22, 01:58 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Raleigh Competition

I couldn't turn down this Raleigh Competitution that popped up on FB at a $100 with a stuck stem. The bike was built in the Handsworth factory but I can't read the year date. Still it is likely a '73 or a '74 since by 1975 the bike has a chromed rear triangle. I popped on a set of 27 inch clinchers that came off a 1973 Motobecane Grand Record and took the bike for a spin. It rides nice. The bike is a bit taller than I like at 23 and 1/2 (really a 59 center to top) but the top tube is not too long so it fits me pretty well. The bike has some rust on the top tube but other than that it is in fine shape and it has all the original bits and pieces. The stem is stuck and that saddle is more or less toast but it might be OK if I lace it. This is my second Raleigh of the year since I picked up a 1981 Raleigh Record Ace earlier this year. As far as I can tell the 80s RRA were sold only in the UK.

This bike has lots and lots of clearance. I'm going to be tempted to run 700c wheels and some fat tires . . .

Last edited by bikemig; 07-24-22 at 02:12 PM.