View Single Post
Old 03-12-24, 06:46 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm pretty sure a Masi and a basic hybrid don't speak the same language LOL
My Masi was made about 3 miles from where I live now. So it speaks fluent Californian. Dude.
It was made in 1984 but I bought the frame in 1988, brand-new. I'd always pined after it, but couldn't afford it when I was a USCF Junior making $4.35/hr bagging groceries at f*****ing Albertsons.
But when I was home on Xmas leave from the Army, I stopped by my old haunts and IT WAS STILL UP THERE! I bought it immediately and I was so happy, I honestly almost fainted in the bikeshop.
I've had that bike since 1988 and it was my only vehicle in Europe when I had to get to work, to community college, and to race in the Netherlands. I rode it to Cologne (Koln) a dozen times, and many thousands of miles in the rain on Belgian farm roads coated with slimy, amonia-stinking pig manure (with no fenders). I was also humiliated half a dozen times racing in the International Class (turns out everyone [even my teammates] but me was on amphetamines.) I have an irrational attachment (love?) for it now. It is part of my identity and personality.
As Bob Roll said in "Dog in a Hat": This bike wears a lot of suffering.