Old 02-01-23, 08:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5849 Post(s)
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,497 Posts
First of all ---- There is no safety issue here.

Secondly, you're obsessing over nothing and wasting your time "fixing" what ain't broke.

Third, it helps to understand how human controlled braking works.

We humans operate using biofeedback rather than fixed programming to control motion. By example, if we reach out to pick up an apple, it doesn't matter where the apple is, we simply reach out until we touch it, then close our hand until we have grasped it tight enough to move before lifting. We have no idea we're doing this because it's a fully automatic subroutine of our motion control system.

Looking at your braking "imbalance" issue, I suggest you think back to the times you crossed a street on a hill. In that situation one leg was closer to the ground than the other, and you barely noticed, and didn't consciously make any effort to compensate. The same would apply to the unmatched braking. Each hand quickly squeezes it's respective lever until registering contact, then increases grip force until it has the desired effect, while also modulating to maintain control without excessive brake force. All that happens in micro seconds, without conscious attention to the process.

You learned this a long time ago, the same way you learned to ride a bike in the first place. So there's no need for you to try to make a reliable, fully automatic control system "better" or "safer: It works now, has worked in the past, and can be relied on to work in the future.

Note, since nothing was said otherwise, I assumed you were dealing with a typical two brake, two lever system. OTOH - if dealing with two brakes on the same lever, please disregard most of the above,

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-01-23 at 08:34 PM.