Thread: How soften ride
View Single Post
Old 07-26-20, 08:03 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
I have a 2012 Focus Izalco Pro--everything is stock besides the 25mm tires (which looks about the limit for size). The bike is a bit harsh for the type of cycling I am doing now. Is there anything I can do to improve the ride quality?
Nice supple 25mm tires at an appropriate inflation pressure.

Lots of us like Continental GP4000SII tires as a good balance between ride quality, puncture resistance, and life.

Add your bike and rider weight. Multiply by 0.45 for the front tire loaded weight and 0.55 rear. Lookup an appropriate pressure on the chart. Add more if you don't like the handling or don't want to add air more than once a week.

E.g, a 170 pound bike + rider combination would have 77 pounds on their front tire and 94 rear, suggesting 65psi front and 85 psi rear. I'd go for 75 psi front because 65 feels squishy.

Would wheels help substantially? Thanks for your help.
No. Wheels are very rigid radially and their compliance is negligible compared to tires. Drive side + front 2.0/1.8mm spokes stretch about 0.5 mm between completely slack and full tension, and 2.0/1.5mm 1mm. Non-drive side rear isn't much over half that. Wheels go out of true and collapse on bumps when you completely slacken the spokes.

Carbon fiber handlebars can be made to have more flex than aluminum without failing due to fatigue,

There are suspension road seat posts like the Specialized Cobl Gobl-R, although with even 3mm of seat height making a difference I wouldn't mess with one,

Otherwise only a frame that clears wider tires will help. Most disc brake bikes clear 32mm tires which is the widest Continental GP5000 made. The Trek Domane clears 38mm tires. The OPEN - U.P. combines traditional road geometry, road cranks with low Q factor, and clearance for 55mm tires.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-26-20 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt: