View Single Post
Old 08-02-21, 10:56 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,101 Times in 3,834 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
“May” is neither must nor an obviation of the fact that all motor vehicles have only one shared set of hand signals. That bicycles *may* use a different hand signal for right turns in some states does not mean doing so is better, but it does make bicycles the exception. If you think unique signaling is more clear on the road, go ahead and be that guy. I still think it’s smarter to use and reinforce uniform practice which all vehicle operators should have been trained on,
Especially as a cyclist sharing the road with vehicles that can squash me pretty easily, I think it's smarter to use signals which are most easily understood by drivers of those vehicles. I really don't want to gamble my safety on whether or not the driver of a 3 ton SUV remembers hand signals that they were required to learn 2 decades ago, and haven't ever used. Pointing right with my right arm for a right turn is petty unambiguous. Yes, I will be that guy, because getting home safely is a top priority for me.