View Single Post
Old 08-08-21, 07:48 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I don't bother with a stove anymore. I like hard dried sausage (portugese, italian and french variants) and a chunk of real Parmesan cheese. I make a special nut and fruit mix (sort of a fancy gorp). Tortilla pockets last a long time. Single packet Mayo and tuna isn't bad. If I have drop sent, I might have some sardines to eat. Chocolate covered almonds and Peanut MMs. Sometimes cold soaked tea is nice. A little honey is a treat. Energy bars for breakfast, I like to get right up and go. My pace is pretty slow and I do not even try to replace all the calories. If I get to a place that serves food, I will eat a good amount and especially vegetables. I will carry a small amount of dried fruit but never veggies because of weight. I have eaten enough mountain house freeze dried in my life, it is really expensive, really salty to my taste, and some of the recipes are indeed somewhat palatable. I am more of a hiker than a camper, so, food is just fuel.
I've considered dropping the stove as I eat in restaurants a lot and also often default to hard cheese, salami and flat bread. However, I do like a cup of tea and there are those times when you are camping that a hot meal is really welcome. So I do carry a small cooking kit consisting of an alcohol stove, mug, lighter, cloth, windscreen and tea bags and a collapsible cup that fit in s small mesh bag and a bottle of fuel and a spork. It's enough to make tea, soup, oatmeal and couscous.

Likes For nun: