Old 08-21-21, 01:30 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Back in the Saddle

After five years of minimal saddle time (as in, low double digit annual mileage), the diagnosis of diabetes has me rediscovering the joy and benefits of cycling. Finished the fifth week with back to back 50+ mile weeks with longest ride at 17 miles. Took a few weeks to get the kinks worked out of my bikes (gummed up brifters made the first few rides not so fun) and get my bum reacquainted with saddles. My wife has been accompanying on most rides and she, and her bikes, also had some kinks to work out.

My blood sugar numbers have already dropped significantly and I’m sure my doctor will be pleased when he reviews them with me on Monday. But I know health benefit alone isn’t enough to keep me motivated. It’s the fun of riding that will keep me pushing to go farther and go faster. I even rediscovered the joy of the big ring this week. And, I must admit, having Strava list my new PRs and medals after every ride, as well as seeing average speed slowly creeping up, are a fun bit of motivation.

It’s good to be back!
Likes For CACycling: