View Single Post
Old 04-06-22, 06:06 PM
DWhitworth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
While I love my local shops and try to support them as much as I can, they haven't been very good at building good wheels for me and i have worked with 4 over the years. I think when us riders get closer to 300# (or in my case, well over) we are so far out of biking norms that they just don't have any experience in what to do and not do when building.

On my road bike, I had very good luck with the Vuelta HD Clyde wheels. I bought them because they were cheap and put it on "temporarily" while my main wheel at the time was at the shop getting trued. Cheapo stayed true for 3 seasons and close to 10k miles! I switched to a Velocity wheel (see below) and had this one trued and it will live on as a spare.

Unfortunately, those seem to not be available any longer. They are slightly more expensive, but I have used Velocity Wheel Builder for both my road bike and gravel bike and in both cases the wheels have been great. Road bike one has 2 seasons and 5k miles on it. I have both a tubed and tubeless one for my gravel bike, so the miles are split, but a few thousand there too and its much harder to ride "light" on gravel,

DaveW