View Single Post
Old 01-26-23, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
One thing I’ve learned from some folks of BF is that there are a multitude of ways that people use a bicycle, and each of them are valid in their own way. I’ve had some of my own preconceived ideas challenged, and I’ve adjusted my understanding because of it. As

One area that continues to be a frustration to me is those who insist that a desire for “better” equipment is only valid for people who race, and/or that every additional expense above “adequate” must be justified by a measurable and proportional increase in performance. For me, cycling is a passion. Not just the riding, but also the gear. I’m excited to ride a high-performance machine at the limits of my current abilities, even if I am slower than I used to be. Hell, I enjoy just looking at my bikes, much the same way people enjoy looking at sports cars. I’m also excited to take those same bikes out for an easy cruise, just to enjoy being on a bike on a nice day. The hollow hum of carbon wheels and slick tires rolling fast on pavement, with the distinctive sound of a clean and well-adjusted drivetrain delivering power from pedals to rear wheel, is a happy sound to me. So is the buzz of a high-quality freewheel. I can feel the difference in casing suppleness between a Conti GP5000 and a Pirelli P-Zero, and that matters to me. I enjoy the contrast of experiences between each of my bikes. The variety keeps cycling fresh and exciting for me.
"I enjoy it" is reason enough for any of it in my book, but that works both ways. I argue with the people who tell people they shouldn't want the expensive bikes, parts and kit even though I don't have expensive tastes. I also argue with people who attack people like myself who don't favor bike kit and the like and happen to like older bikes.

I find the fact that people like stuff I don't like or care about interesting, and I like hearing their reasons. I respect their choices and I'm not going to try to convince them otherwise--why should I? I just want the same respect back--I have my reasons for riding as I do, and there are people on this forum who go out of their way to be insulting and patronizing about it..

What I like about your posts is you don't do the snob bit--I like reading the preferences and reasons for liking things from a connoisseur even if I have no desire to become one myself and I don't feel like you're going to talk to me like I'm stupid if I say I like something else. I also get fascinated by watching people ride the hell out of department store bikes, bikes are cool because of the people who make them work.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-26-23 at 03:41 PM.
Likes For livedarklions: