Old 07-16-18, 04:18 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by toast3d
What I'm about to say might be bad advice. Maybe somebody with bike fitting experience can weigh in on it.

If the bike comes stock with a significant amount of setback on the seatpost (like the kind of seatpost you see on a stock Surly LHT), get the larger frame. If you find that it's slightly too large, remove the stock seatpost and install a straight seatpost. The double bolt style seatposts Thompson makes are a good example of this. You can also swap the stem out for a shorter one to bring the handlebars in a little closer.

If it comes stock with a straight seatpost, get the smaller frame. If it's slightly too small, then swap the seatpost out for one which has a lot of setback, and possibly also swap the stem out for a longer one to move the handlebars a little farther forward.

Again, this might be bad advice and perhaps someone with bike fitting experience should weigh in on it.

You could also just go to a bike fitter. It may be worth the money, and then you'll be able to better determine exactly which size frame would be the best fit for you.
As a matter of fact, I did check the seat positions on both bikes. Both seats had adjustable rails, and both seats were about 2/3 to the front most position. My thought was that with either frame, I'd have some adjustment toward or away from the bars. I guess it is possible that neither frame size is a perfect fit for me, but either might be close enough.