View Single Post
Old 06-06-21, 08:00 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
A more expensive helmet may be lighter and cooler, depending on design. No need to overthink, just get one that fits and looks good to you. Don't buy a used helmet, explanation above.
Originally Posted by freeranger
As with everything, there has been new technology developed. Remember when football players wore what was more of a leather head covering, than a helmet? How long a helmet will last depends on many factors, such as: was it left in a hot vehicle, garage, shed,etc. for long lengths of time--was it exposed to direct sunlight for a long period, involved in a crash? Styrofoam is not bulletproof, but will last for a while under good circumstances, but can deteriorate. So far as technology--it has advanced, whether or not you feel the need for the "best" protection is a judgement call to be made by you, but new tech is out there: MIPS Helmet Technology: What It Is and Why You Need It | Blog - Bicycle Roots Bike Shop as well as Bontrager Specter WaveCel helmet review | Cyclingnews. I would not buy a used helmet. And I would not buy a helmet from one of the "less than revered" overseas sites. Not saying what is "correct" or best for you, just hoping to provide some insight so you may make an informed decision.
I had an older Bell helmet that was universal-sized with a wheel adjustment to tighten it. I liked it, but was looking for something a bit more sized AND being lighter in weight was a plus. I also wanted a smoother helmet without the aero points on the rear that made the helmet longer when packed in my gear bag. Even tightened down, the old Bell could move enough if it was real hot to affect how my glasses fit (and stayed put) on my head and nose. In cold it was fine. Additionally having the capability to mount a rear light was a real big plus, as my setup on the Bell was not optimal, but not a 'requirement'.

I found the multi-sized Bontrager Specter Wavecel fit really nice and did not move, and also had a wheel adjustment. However, it would not allow a helmet light, and due to the way the Wavecel material covered all the vents, I would have had to cut some of the Wavecel to fit a strap-on light. I did not want to alter the construction at all. I then tried the Bontrager Starvos Wavecel and it did not have the Wavecel material covering the 2 rear vents, and the Bontrager light strap fit very securely. It also has high marks in testing. It too fit exactly the same as the Specter, but had a clip latch instead of the magnetic latch of the Specter. Additionally, both Bontragers fit lower on the back of the head and were a bit lighter. SOLD!

One plus what the shop I bought it in had a fan setup nearby that you could stand in front of to feel the airflow. That made it easy to rule out the "commuter" type helmet I was considering. The summer heat and humidity would be too much. The ease of trying many helmets and sizes at the LBS is always my choice, but then I do not mail order shoes or jerseys.

Look up the Virginia tests and look at the prices of the top 20. You do not need to go mega dollars for top tier protection.
Likes For Bill in VA: