Thread: Peugeot PSN 10
View Single Post
Old 06-13-21, 01:27 PM
skolla1

Bikes: Peugeot PSN 10 Mont-Cenis, Specialized Tarmac Disc Pro Di2 Carbon, Specialized Allez Compact, Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon, Specialized StumpJumper FSR 27.5 Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Peugeot PSN 10

Thought I'd share. New to these forums. I bought a new old stock (NOS) Peugeot PSN 10, which we have since found to have been manufactured in October 1985. It was sold in its original plastic shrinkwrap and was removed from its original shipping box for photographs. I purchased the bike unbuilt on eBay as such and had it assembled. Everything was in perfect working condition after having been stored in its box for 36 yrs.

I had a version of this bike which I purchased in 1986 while a student in Northern California. It took me on some epic rides and I never could figure out what happened to the bike after all this time. The only parts of it which I hated were the white accents: bar tape, brake hood covers ,cabling, saddle and toe straps. They only stay white for about 10 minutes after purchase and then get all grubby thereafter.

Anyway, my brand new 36 yr old bike got the following as a result: Brooks B17 saddle, Brooks bar tape, NOS Specialized Red toe straps. NOS Black Modolo Anatomic Brake Hoods and NOS Modolo black brake cabling. The original parts were all functional but white.

I have just completed my first 150 mi on my new vintage bike and it is an absolute dream in terms of ride quality and the memories it brings back. I find it as capable as any of my modern bikes.

The following took some relearning on my part after having been away for so long from this era's technology.

Downtube friction shifters: I had to keep looking down to make sure I was in the right gear especially before I stood up on the pedals

Gearing ratios. 52/42 in front and 13-21 6 gears in back. None of these are exactly granny gears for hills or steep climbs, hence the reason to stand on the pedals in the first place.

Toe clips and straps: I found indoor soccer shoes to be very helpful

Check out pics in Gallery for skolla1 Peugeot PSN 10 1985 from June 13. Working to get my 10 post to include pics in the thread in future

Last edited by skolla1; 06-13-21 at 03:36 PM. Reason: update
Likes For skolla1: