Old 07-29-21, 03:01 PM
lmk5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
FDs don’t shift inward well under load - it’s trying to move a taut chain with only the force of the FD spring, which isn’t a particularly powerful spring. You have to ease up slightly so the chain isn’t so taut, but if you time it right it’s momentary. Contrast this with the RD, which is shifting “slack” chain, and the RD spring is adequate. Shifting to the big ring in front is easier under some load because you can exert more force through the FD cable. As for why you don’t need the inner limit screw, the FD has a finite range of motion, the limit screws just adjust this range where necessary for a specific drivetrain. It’s likely that your FD hits its “natural” limit at just the right spot, and the inner limit screw isn’t adding anything to the equation in this instance. I would still leave the screw in there, though, so you don’t lose it.
That’s a great explanation and makes total sense to me. One other issue: When I’m on the middle chainring on the FD and on either of the largest 2 gears on the RD, I do get some chain rub on the inner plate of the FD. Is the barrel adjuster the only adjustment I have for this issue or is there a better way?