Old 07-29-21, 06:16 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by lmk5
That’s a great explanation and makes total sense to me. One other issue: When I’m on the middle chainring on the FD and on either of the largest 2 gears on the RD, I do get some chain rub on the inner plate of the FD. Is the barrel adjuster the only adjustment I have for this issue or is there a better way?
Your cable may be too tight. But the problem can also be due to the front derailer geometry. Kind of hard to tell over the InterTubz. You should not make any adjustments to the limit screws! They have no influence other than how for in- or outboard the derailer travels.

As to your shift problems, as others have said this is common (less common than 35 years ago, however). Mountain bikers learn a technique where you ease up slightly on the pressure on the pedals when the front won’t shift. It’s just a slight reduction in pressure and becomes barely noticeable after a while. Modern teeth profiles help a lot too.

Gonna rant a little here: Front derailers are stupidly designed. Shimano had a chance to make them much better when they “invented” Rapid Fail but they chose the wrong derailer to work on. Shimano’s Rapid Fail was supposed to make the front and rear lever movement in the same direction. People often get confused about up and down shifts on front derailers (and some rear) because of the reverse action of the derailers. The front derailer relies on the spring to move the chain under heavy load and it isn’t up to the job.

Suntour make high normal front derailers…most rear derailers are high normal. In a high normal derailer, the cable is used to drag the chain to lower gears under a load…think of how well your rear derailer downshifts. Suntour’s high normal front dragged the chain off the chainwheels and shifts were quick, crisp, and, most importantly, it worked under load. If Shimano had made their fronts work that way instead of giving us Rapid Fail, they would have really revolutionized front shifting.

Instead, they fell flat on their faces. Nothing since U-brakes have been such a mistake.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!