Old 09-24-22, 09:13 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
All of the other points aside about setting brakes up maximally, I had a wreck a week ago involving some wet concrete so I wholesale cleaned and lubed my bike. Got something on the rear disc and it took me most of the week to wash it off the disc and pads and rebed the shoes. Now they're working fine, but it was no-stop for a couple of days. Point being that I was doing some diligent cleaning and it took me a few tries to cut through whatever was causing the problem. My suspicion is that there was still something stuck in the webbing of the disc that ran out when warm and the best solution would have been to take the disc right off and soak it in a tray of solvent and then replace the shoes.

I can't imagine that an actuator arm in a slightly wrong place can have that much effect compared with a persistent spot of oil in the wrong place, and if I were the OP that's where I'd be spending most of my time on this problem.
You'd be wrong. A mechanical brake can go from very strong to completely useless in less than half an inch of cable pull. You can trust me on this one, that arm has to start in the fully relaxed/back position.
Likes For cxwrench: