View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 07:17 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Bike/Train/Bike Commute

Hello all, I've been trying to figure out my best options for commuting about 18 miles to work and will be taking the train the majority of the way. My conundrum is getting my bike on and off of the train. The current closest station (3 miles north) is not ADA compliant and has a lot of stairs to go to the other side of the tracks (with a tunnel in between) and the new station is about a year from completion. I'm about 5'4", somewhat fit, but kept finding myself getting cut up from the gears and other components as I try to lug the bike to get on and off the train (again, more albeit smaller steps to go up to get on board). I'm looking for someone who has "mastered" this art of carrying/loading a bike without too much difficulty. I also feel kind of self-conscious, like I'm holding people up, but I'd better get over that soon once I hit 40 and have my newfound confidence. Ha!

Alternatively, I could ride up some hills and into the city to get to the next station which is ADA compliant, albeit old, and 5 miles further south (which is the direction I need to travel anyway). My husband thinks that option is more risky with the bike lanes disappearing as I get into the city streets before reaching the station.

Right now, I have two beater vintage road bikes. One to use to get to the train station (theoretically, I've not yet made its inaugural run and have been driving there instead) and the other to keep on campus to get to my final destination (1 mile). Part of me keeps stalking the $200ish folding bike I see someone selling locally but I'm trying to keep costs down so I'll probably resist that urge unless marked down a good bit more. Should I message the seller to see if he might be open to haggling? He dropped the price once already and it retails new for around $400.

Thanks in advance!