Old 11-20-22, 07:07 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxy357
My conundrum is getting my bike on and off of the train. I'm about 5'4", somewhat fit, but kept finding myself getting cut up from the gears and other components as I try to lug the bike to get on and off the train (again, more albeit smaller steps to go up to get on board). I'm looking for someone who has "mastered" this art of carrying/loading a bike without too much difficulty. I also feel kind of self-conscious, like I'm holding people up.

I'm not that familiar with Delaware transit outside of the beaches but I'm guessing you're talking about using the bike cars on Northeast Corridor Amtrak? When I've taken a bike on the Amtrak I'm usually taking my folding bike but I've had some experiences taking a full size bike on the Maryland commuter rail bike cars, which have slick, small metal steps and narrow entryways like the Amtrak. I've usually been able to put my right shoulder under the top tube which helps to get the pedals and chainrings away from my lower body as I go up the steps. You might also consider a carrying strap that fastens between the seat and down tubes - there are some options on Etsy and other places. Folding pedals and/or a chaincase might also help to prevent contact going up the stairs. Maybe might also help with getting up the stairs more quickly as well?