Old 07-21-21, 08:39 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Is there still hope it it clicks? DA 8 speed brifters revival

Hi all, I have a pair of DA brifters which I thought I could revive with the old WD40 / Triflow combo. The right shifter had 1 or 2 clicks in it so I felt like this could just be a matter of dried up grease. After having worked them for quite some time with WD40, I have managed to get the full 7 clicks a few times, but it feels like a lottery. Most of the time I'll just get 1-2 clicks, 3-4 if I'm lucky.

As a more radical solution I tried to to let them soak in Varsol (paint thinner) for a day. The left shifter feels very nice now but the right one is pretty much the same. If I'm very patient and work it a lot, I will end up saving 5-6-7 clicks, but the second after I'll be down to 1-3 clicks.

I was just curious to know it those with more experience in brifter revival would say that the fact that I sometimes get the full range of clicks means the shifter can be saved to a certain extent, and if so, if there is another trick I could try before opening the brifter itself. Or maybe this whole thing is just a lottery in the end and there is really no way to tell? I've spent quite a lot of time on the shifter so far..! Thanks