Old 09-12-21, 04:09 PM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Your desire to pack light doesn't surprise me in the least. I often have packed quite light myself. I went coast to coast witth 14 pounds including the bags and trimmed gear weight since then. I think my lowest base gear weight was 9 pounds. So I get that. I used to pack heavy and used 4 panniers and progressively shed weight until I was down into the ultralight minimalist level for both touring and backpacking. Some of my methods are unconventional so I am not always doing things using the most conventional methods either.

It is your call and you can certainly do as you please. I was just trying to understand the apparent inconsistency of shedding every possible ounce in your camping gear and clothing and then carrying it in a heavy set of four panniers on a pair of heavy racks designed to carry many times that much weight. I don't need to understand, I just thought perhaps I was missing part of the story. I still feel that I am missing something since the gear you list would fit in one 25 liter pannier. Are you carrying a weeks worth of bulky food or very large amounts of water or something?
I honestly do not think in those terms. My goal is to have a single bike that is YELLOW.

Let it go brother, some folks tour on unicycles. I know, it is inconsistent when there are two and three wheels designs.

In my case, I have a bike, I have the panniers, I have the Peanut Plastic cartons, I have the racks. Why not use them? And if I could get the Peanut Plastics cartons in yellow, then I would have them too.

I live by what if, and then by if then what? This is the 100% answer to the why. My other vehicle is a 6,000 lb. 1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo which gets 10-mpg. Why? Because it is Yellow, and I can carry anything I want. So, it is the freedom of having one single item (1983 Cherokee and 2001 GT ZR 3.0) each of which can carry as much as needed. Are the better options? Of course. Will those options give me a return on investments? Only if they are Yellow.

The ultimate answer is... because (fill in the blank_______).

I am getting a CrMo fork to replace the carbon fork. Just in case I need to go lighter It is black!