Old 09-26-21, 03:40 PM
Frank S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
I’m with dabac that it’s the bikes geometry but 65-75 psi seems a tad low for 1 1/8” tires if you’re not a light person or carrying a rear load, The tires max pressure has no bearing on optimal pressure. 65-75 is more what I’d use for 1 1/4” tires but again it all depends on the weight the wheels are carrying. There’s a world of difference between optimal psi range for unloaded riding or loaded riding esp. for the rear tire. When I was light and light touring on 1 1/8” tires I’d pump the rear to 80psi figuring it would be down to 75 in a couple days. One time touring with 1 1/4” rear and 1 1/8” front I just pumped them to the same psi.
When I had my shop in the 80’s it was interesting to see the ranges of psi people toured on. Folks on 25 mm tires touring on 120 psi, others on 1 1/4” with 45-60 psi. “Did you know your rear tire has 50psi?” , “I thought it was soft, I filled it last week”
Sorry. I have trouble with making coherent posts.

The tires, being spoken about, are 27x1 1/4", per the label. They actually measure about 34mm, on my rims.

I'd try them at lower pressures, but the manufacturer only rates them to 58psi minimum.