JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You cannot really have a geared fixed gear the whole idea of the fixed gear is it is one cog that is directly connected to the front chainring via chain (or belt potentially) that has no ability to freewheel and can only go in one direction. Potentially with some internal set ups you might be able to make gears work but generally most manufacturers either don't make a product or don't recommend their product for the task. Sturmey-Archer does make a 3 speed fixed gear hub (or at least did) but it didn't work well according to a lot of reports from people who have used it.
Sturmey-Archer has made a number of internally geared fixed gear hubs, most recently the S3X. I believe that they're all out-of-production now. I've had an S3X three speed fixed gear hub on a bike for over ten years now, and haven't had any real problems with it. Apparently the early S3X production had some reliability issues, but they seem to have sorted it out by the time my hub was made. I use the bike as a "bad weather rider," but have put a lot of miles on it, including a couple century rides. My biggest gripe is the odd gear ratios: 1.0/0.75/0.65; I would have preferred two closely-spaced high gears and a big drop to the low gear for headwinds and uphills, like the older ASC hub: 1.0/0.9/0.75
Likes For JohnDThompson: