Old 05-12-16, 11:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Don't count on coming out better in your 20s. That would have been a painful crash at any age, with recovery probably taking at least a couple of weeks off the bike.

My worst accident was in my early 20s during a rookie criterium. A passing rider swerved into my line and cut my front wheel out from under me. Bruises and road rash along one entire side of my body, shoulder to ankle. I was in the Navy at the time, in a nearly year-long advanced C school, at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda. One of the instructors warned me to bandage myself up so it didn't show through hospital scrubs and to say nothing and not go to sick call, because I hadn't asked for permission to race in my free time. He said I might actually get gigged, even end up with disciplinary action or worse.

So I did as he suggested and didn't miss any work. Fortunately I was a Corpsman and all my buddies were Corpsmen, so I didn't even need an official sick call or ER visit.

But I'm pretty sure it was longer than a week before I could ride again. I took the bus for awhile.