Old 05-13-16, 09:39 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not much you can do man...Just grin and bear it.

I fractured my ankle in November and tore two of the ligaments up to 90% by shooting a freaking basketball and coming down on the side of the walkway...like wtf...

The original prognosis from the ER was "walk it off, there is no break." They were surprised when I asked for crutches -- meanwhile I had a baseball protruding from my ankle. Two weeks later, I still couldn't put an ounce of weight on it, so the podiatrist told me to do these stretches (which not only required putting weight on it, but shifting the weight to the front of the foot, neither of which I could do) and gave me a lace-up ankle brace to replace the hard boot the ER gave me. Four more weeks after that, I finally decided enough was enough and seeked out the best orthopedist in the area who re-did the x-rays and found that I tore my ligament (ATFL) so bad that it pulled the edge of the tibia off. Who knows how much of what is connecting anything in there anymore. He said I should have been in a hard cast for 8 weeks and then a walking boot after that...but at this point, I should continue doing what I was doing...

Anyway, long story short, I can walk now, can jog awkwardly, but it took MONTHS of work just to get my ankle to bend upwards enough to walk (dorsiflexion). Recovering from injury is not an easy road and is never the same from one person to the next. I'm normally the type of person that says "slow down and focus on the journey" -- but with injury, you really need to not do that, just try to look toward the future. I never thought I'd walk normally again, and I'd be willing to bet that most people given the same situation wouldn't be where I am today -- because I had to push through pain that lasted days every time I'd stretch my achilles. I lost nearly 2" on my right calf. I could feel a divot in my quad muscle. I learned to walk with an inward twist of the hip joint which turned into a ton of pain in the muscles up there. It still doesn't feel exactly right...about the only time I'm moving and not thinking about it is when I'm on the bike. You'll get there if you believe and work for it.

In either event, I can add the following advice. Whatever joints / soft tissues are NOT affected by the immediate injury, KEEP THEM MOVING. If you need an exercise band to work out your calf, do it. If you can't bear that, at least go through full range of motion everywhere you can three times a day. Do not let the injury cause unaffected muscle groups and joints to tighten up. It will only make recovery (when it is time) that much harder. Also, if you can, try to find something that gets your heart rate up each day for 20-30 minutes...anything at all. If you don't, your heart rate will slowly increase on its own. I came out of my injury with a resting heart rate in the mid 80's...that is absolute resting...any sign of action would put it up to 110.

So anyway, it's depressing, it sucks, but you'll get through it...everything is temporary.