Old 11-13-15, 12:33 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't know why your bike shop won't do it, but they have their reasons (such as, for example, liability issues).

Not having seen them, all my remarks have to be taken with a grain of salt. That said, I can true your wheels. I am 100% confident I could build a pair of round wheels from those rims. If you want to do it yourself (which would be my recommendation) I'll explain what you need to do. Whether your spokes will have perfectly even tension, I can't promise, but for a bike you'll ride only occasionally, they'll do. If you plan to use the bike a lot, you might be better off with a new pair of fairly cheap 700c wheels; they'll be lighter and you can get much better tires for them. But don't throw out your Dunlops under any circumstances. Sell them to @photogravity.

@clubman, the thread title specifies that they are alloy rims; so not the garden variety EA1 or Special Lightweight, and not stainless. How many different alloy models were there (I'm only aware of one). That said, I do want to see photos of the rims.