View Single Post
Old 06-04-19, 04:58 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
I dunno, never heard that before, but it seems to not do that... I use a two step process, first wiping the chain down with a degreaser soaked rag, to get off most of the external gunk, then run the chain cleaner with undiluted Simple Green (a gallon just is less than $10 at HD). Chain comes out sparkling clean every time, and it doesn't feel like there's gunk or grit lodged inside. Also, it seems important to use the Park brand version of this. I haven't personally used the generic versions, but from things I've read, this is one time where the brand name item is superior. I will note, that I've used it probably 10 times or less, and some of the brushes are already fraying slightly. I think they sell replacement parts, but it seems to be starting to show wear already...
If you aren't rinsing the simple green out after, then you're leaving the surfactants inside the chain that will interfere with whatever lubricant you apply afterwards. If you're going to use the chain cleaner and simple green then rinse liberally with water and dry afterwards