View Single Post
Old 09-23-20, 01:45 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
You are most definitely not alone in your struggles. I too have been struggling with depression. About 9 months ago I started seeing a therapist and we both came to the conclusion that I have probably been depressed for years. I had a 35 year career where I ended up in the top job at the top firm in my business. That last position I held for 10 years but then lost it at the end of 2016. I have yet to find something to replace it. Losing the job sent me into a spiral. I gained more weight than I already had. I was not exercising. My relationship with my wife suffered. I thought that this extra time would give me plenty of reason to get out on the bike and achieve some goals I had set for myself, particularly climbing this one particular hill twice in a loop. I haven't made it up once yet this season. I go several weeks of riding regularly, 3 times a week. Then it tapers to two and quickly to one, then none. I understand the lack of motivation to do simple and necessary things like bath or brush teeth. Why bother if I'm not going out. I'd go to parties at my neighbors houses only to leave after a short time because I don't feel comfortable. And I definitely eat to drown my sorrows. That happens late at night while I'm binge watching something by myself. I just saw an psychiatrist at the urging of my therpist and she put me on Lexapro. I started it Monday and hope that it just gives me more motivation to do all the things you mention so I can be more healthy and feel more alive and productive. And my main goal is to find a job. I need the motivation to fix my resume which has clearly been lacking since I never hear from those I submit it to. It is truly a daily struggle. In my case I expect things could actually get worse before they get better as my wife now wants a divorce after 27 years of marriage. Almost 30 if you count the years before we got married. I still hope that maybe I can do something to fix that situation, although my therapist thinks I put too much hope in that happening. He may be right. We just have to keep on keepin' on.