oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Bikes: Cannondales, Columbus Schwinn, old GTs, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
1991 GT Arette... Project for Mom

Hello! Just wanted to sharee this project, my wife is tired of hearing about it!

My mom is 60ish and wanted something more comfortable than her 1998 Diamondback Apex, it is pretty aggressive for a Florida path-cruiser. So, I spent far too much money on a "garage kept" GT Arette with the purple/pink splatter paint. I picked it up in 30 degree sleet and rain, so did not look at it carefully enough... lessons learned!

Upon closer inspection, whatever "garage" it had been kept in evidently had serious structural/weatherproof issues, as the non-drive side paint is faded to the point of pink being grayish and the drive side components are less than "pristine". The frame is in really good condition though, and I like the funky 90s vibes it has. Pretty much everything but the stem and wheelset looks like it will need replaced, which is ok... it will be a good learning experience and I know she will love it regardless. My end goal is something close to the 700c Hybrid GT intended in the early 90s, but with some updated/affordable components.

I have all the parts off the frame, the fork and stem out, ready to start degreasing (getting all of the WD-40 out of every crevasse) and polishing. Hopefully I can bring some of the luster back and buff out some of the paint oxidation. Pictures and updates to come! I plan on sharing the project/experience and soaking up some of the knowledge available.

I created an album for this project in my profile that will stay updated (91 GT Arette). Does anyone have experience with a project like this? Tips? Suggestions? General interest in wacky 90s bike design? Thanks!

Last edited by oldtimeyirv; 12-09-20 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added album