Old 12-04-20, 10:42 AM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Bikes: Cannondales, Columbus Schwinn, old GTs, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
merziac Thanks for the tips! I hit the frame with the classic elbow grease/Dawn combo and it worked wonders. I was able to take tons of the oxidation off with some meguiars polish I had in the garage, and it really started to shine after a coat of wax. I was pretty surprised at how much it improved the overall look. Evidently sitting in a "garage" for years can really make a bike pretty filthy.

I will be tackling the wheelset this weekend, they need a serious cleaning and new grease. Looking at a fresh set of rubber as well... any suggestions? I like the idea of 700x38ish for some reason. Opinions welcome.

Bottom bracket question: The bike did not have a cartridge bb in it, it is the older type with caged bearings and spindle; the non-drive side is pretty rusted/worn. What are general rules when replacing with a cartridge type bb? Do I just get one that matches the recommended spindle length of the new crankset I buy? It is new territory for me, but I think it will be a major upgrade for the bike.

I am also curious about the pros and cons (opinions) of keeping the cantilever brakes on the front vs changing to a v-brake. I need to buy a new setup either way, the original calipers are broken. Will most likely be using integrated, lower-end shimano shifters.

I put some new photos up in an album on my profile. Thanks natterberry for sharing the first photos!
Likes For oldtimeyirv: