cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by arimnestos
You know not all young people are the same right? Thanks for your reply, but if it's just to be condescending, please try not to make a bunch of assumptions.
I have an 07 Honda Accord with 210,000km on it. I understand the additional maintenance costs, however, there is still an upfront cost. You pay a lot more for the maintenance of a Ferrari anyways. And I spend $4 a month on coffee and $250 a month on food(about $3/meal).
The cheapest bikes sold at my LBS are ~$650. Hence, I'm looking for used.
Don't have a Costco membership and even their cheapest bike is $500.
Please let me know if you have any comments on the bikes I mentioned above.
Welcome arimnestos,
A thing about any internet forum is that one has to develop a bit of a strong skin - because there are plenty of posters who find these places great for pissing contests... LOL!
Filter the 'noise' from 'signal'.
It's a tough time to be bike shopping, because supplies in new and used are in short supply. The bikes which stay for sale for a while are usually way over-priced. We have the same around here.
People who think they have a "treasure' (as opposed to the abused piece of old gas pipe it is...) think others will pay for their neglected stuff....
I also did a quick look on Craigslist Toronto for what was on there. What an Education ! A lot of old crappage at incredibly high prices !!! knowing full well that this is all CAN dollars, most of the stuff needs crushing, not selling.
But there are a few options - assuming you're not needing wanting anything more than a decent basic bike...
Go to a COOP - great idea!
On Craigslist - this listing is from a local bike shop which seems to offer a stock of 'used' bikes - might be good to contact and see what they have for you. Given it's a retail shop, the stuff might be expected to be in decent working condition, with no surprises here's the Link : Sam's Bike Shop
I'm not recommending any particular bike/listing they have, but speak with them and maybe go see what they have in stock, available...
Also, noting CCM bikes... Most US doesn't really know the Brand, but my own experience with CCM bikes is that they are solid bikes, with decent components, usually better than most BigBox bikes.
So if the bike fits, and is a decent price, in good working order - it'll prolly be a reliable basic machine.
rumrunn6 posted a CCM Ice listed on CL for $260...
This seems to be the same bike, listed on CL for $200... If it's working ok, and doesn't need much work - it might be worth $150 CAN...
visually seems to be about an 18"-19" frame (26" wheels) and should fit a rider from 5' 8" to just over 6' (1.73m to 1.81m - ish).
Don't rush, something will come up... But if a bike looks/seems well kept, and the seller seems up front and honest.
Don;t sweat the little things, like grips... make sure the wheels turn well without 'crunchy' sounds, are round without hops or wobbles, brakes are steady and relaible, the bike shifts smoothly and consistently, and the fork/steering turns smoothly without feeling Tight or 'notchy'.
Keep us updated on your search. Most of us can give some decent advise without the need to be negative or snarky... LOL
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: