Old 09-13-22, 03:58 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How close to perfect do you believe the Tesla Autopilot System were when they ran over the motorcyclists even with with its allegedly required fully attentive drivers, (who allegedly truly know and understood the system), with their hands on the wheel and prepared to take over as allegedly required by the Autopilot System to operate?

You are either guessing or just parroting the hype when you imply that there is any evidence or quantitative data about any degree of perfection or error-free operation or comparison with real world human drivers of any of the current crop of so-called "self-driving" systems being tested on public highways.
The disconnect that some autonomous vehicle fans have ...

These cars are, at *best*, another decade away. Musk has been touting full self-driving "next year" since 2014. Look at Waymo or any auto manufacturer like Honda doing this kind of research. They are projecting it way out in the future. Musk doesn't have an advanced degree in anything STEM. He's a con man. He doesn't have some secret sauce that no one else has. I, like you, do not demand perfection, but I do demand better than "a small fraction as good as current drivers." I do not discount the possibility of superior AI-controlled cars. I just don't want them that much and I don't want to hold my breath waiting for something possibly decades away.

To the OP's point: there is nothing you can do beyond leaving or giving up on getting around outside of a big car yourself. California for one is letting a dangerous, negligent car salsesman pre-alpha test self-driving vehicles of multiple tons that can accelerate 0-60 in 3 seconds on the public roads.
Likes For Gear_Admiral: