Old 09-21-22, 01:57 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Frankly I doubt the technology will ever be 100% perfect, but can we accept a significant reduction in human deaths on the roadways?
Absolutely. I'm all for advancements in safety engineering in autos. My wife's car has adaptive cruise control, auto braking, lane departure warning, back up cross traffic alarm/braking - all good stuff, and I know it helps make it safer for her to drive, as long as there are no malfunctions and the limitations of the systems are understood. For instance, lane departure warning systems based on cameras rely heavily on a white line along the shoulder of the roadway. It doesn't work well if the road is covered in a fresh layer of snow. I believe that the driver is still ultimately responsible for control of the vehicle. I've had to deal with too many owners who think that, because their car has all these electronic safety assist technologies, they won't get in an accident. I have had to explain to them that you can't overcome the laws of physics. Just because your car has stability control doesn't mean you can go into a 20 MPH corner at 60 MPH and come out unscathed.
Likes For Bald Paul: