Old 10-17-22, 10:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I don't know that particular tire, but the Corsas are in general, very close to race tires. (For any quality tire, the manufacturer has decisions to make re: rolling resistance, weight, grip, flat protection and durability. These are basically slices out of the same pie. Increase one and you have to subtract from another(s). For those tires, the emphasis is on the first three. Again, I do not know your tire, but on many of the Corsas, the grip is excellent. Good grip is achieved with a softer rubber compound. Combine that with low weight and you get a thin tread that rubs off fast if you skid on it, something that may never happen in the life of a tire used for racing.

A question and comment: The tire kept you from hitting the car, yes? If so, just maybe it paid for itself. And the comment - modern brakes have more power than either needed or wanted in panic stops. Locking up the rear wheel is counter-productive in terms of stopping distance, bike control and rear tire life. Modifying or changing one's rear brake to be less effective sounds backwards but actually makes for a better, safer bike. I set my city bikes up with the well known French stoppers in front and a decent, but less powerful rear of different make entirely. In the '80s, all good bike ran full length housing for the rear brake that added "sponge" and detracted from the rear brake's power. In the '70s. manufacturers routinely set the rear breake higher than the front to lessen its power. In the early days of dual pivots, Campagnolo provided the older sidepull design for the rear brake. But "bike think" aka marketing changes with time. Brake power now rules. But as you have seen, brake power isn't entirely a blessing. Yes, it offers good fingertip control from the brake hoods and saves hands from tiring on long, steep descents. But when adrenaline takes over ...

I love almost all the Corsas I've used. In large part for the excellent grip. (I had a pair of older summer Corsas that were scary on the slippery, oily first rain of August. But the rest have been good tires and the wet weather specialty tires a treat in the Portland winter.) Many here prefer the longer wearing in general Continentals but I'll stick to the tires that might just save me a crash or two, even at routine drain to my wallet. And yes, I can kill all those Corsas with one slide like you did.
Likes For 79pmooney: