Old 10-17-22, 01:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Looking t the photo, I suspect that the one skid wasn't the only factor. There seems to me a wear zone much longer than the few inches a single skid causes. So, either you rode the life out of a thin soft tread tire (certainly possible) or you have a history of overuse of the rear brake.

Going forward, consider a tire with harder longer life tread compound (at the cost of some traction, especially wet traction), and or try to change how you use the brakes. As noted earlier the front brake provides the vast bulk of braking power, and you achieve the shortest stopping distance when 90% or more of braking is from the front.

BTW- where you live has a material impact on tire life and you do best when you consider it. Roads in the Southeast tend to be "coarser" than up north and therefore tires wear faster. Temps also matter, and tires that offer great traction in the Northeast will suffer extremely short life on the hot pavements of the Southwest. Years ago when I marketed tubulars, we had a particular tire that was popular because of it's excellent wet traction. Things were great until I started selling them in places like Colorado, where long descents on hot pavements shredded them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.