Old 12-02-19, 09:10 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
Or c) bikepacking, which in my opinion is a type of credit card touring,
Seriously? I really don't get it when folks say things like that. Credit card touring to me means staying in motels, with hosts, or otherwise avoiding the need to camp and cook. It implies, but doesn't require going light. Some people can and do carry more on a credit card tour than others do for self supported touring.

I find it really annoying when someone calls what I do credit card touring just because I am only carrying a minimal amount of ultra light compact gear despite the fact that even with my light load I am camping and cooking in comfort. The amount of stuff you are carrying has little to nothing to do with whether you are self supported or credit card touring. You could be self supported with 5 pounds of gear or credit card touring with 150 pounds of stuff. The distinction is whether you are self supported, not how much you are carrying.

My personal preference these days is to go with 12-14 pounds of base gear weight (plus any food, fuel, and water). That works for me for pretty much any trip length on or off road and allows for going to fairly remote locations, basically anywhere I am likely to go. I am not inclined to winter tour other than maybe on the Southern tier (which I rode in winter with 14# base gear weight camping and cooking and definitely NOT credit card touring). I did get a room now and then, but camped and cooked the large majority of the time.

My personal preference for a credit card tour would be to go with not much more than a handle bar bag and a little tool bag on the back of the seat, but I have never tried credit card touring.