Old 09-21-21, 07:14 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Yah but players on the mini tours need to take whatever money they can get, it's not like the purses are huge. I'm pretty sure that your average continental team rider isn't pulling down a ton of money either. If I was talented enough to be paid to ride a bicycle, I'd ride whatever they threw at me.

I know, it's a catch 22 situation. One player I caddied for had a ball/driver/putter deal with company X. I didn't know that when I got his bag for the week. On the range and through the practice rounds, he's playing with a driver from company Y.(and hitting it well) On Thursday/opening round/Darrell Survey morning, he shows up with a driver from company X in the bag also. Hits both on the range. Tells me when he hits company X's driver good, it's really good. But it's off and on. Not as consistent as the other driver. The X driver goes in the bag for that round and the better driver goes into the car. He hits 2 OB that day with the X driver. On Friday, the other driver is back in the bag. We miss the cut by a stroke. Clearly, the endorsed driver was a factor in missing the cut. He told me as he was loading up heading for the next stop, that without the seed money from the company X endorsement he wouldn't be able to start each week. What do you do?

On a related note, that guy was the best I've ever seen at making 6 footers for par. At least company X's putter was working for him. You know the old saying, though. Two things that don't last long in this world are:

Dogs that chase cars and pros putting for pars.

On another related note, the second round of that tournament, or the year after, was the one where Notay Begay shot his 59. We had finished up for the day. I was hanging around the leaderboard where the scores are posted seeing if we had a chance of making the cut. Word spread that Begay was going low, so people headed across the course to cheer him on. It was impressive to watch.

Last edited by seypat; 09-21-21 at 08:05 AM.
Likes For seypat: