Thread: Yoga
View Single Post
Old 07-15-22, 11:26 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Mrs. Road Fan and I take a yoga group lesson once a week (90 minutes) and I have for about 10 years. Cost is about $14 each / lesson. I don't really have a perspective on what are beginner poses versus intermediate or advanced. We do Iyengar yoga, which has levels for nearly sedentary seniors up to mid-80's (at least, depends on ability), and a '30's mom just started bringing her 11 year old. Props are recommended for those needing them.

Having a qualified teacher is a really important part of getting a good start. The positions can be extremely beneficial, but also can be harmful if done incorrectly. A big part of it is getting enough supervised experience to recognize when your self-practice is more than you can handle or exceeds your comfort level. I don't see how you get that from a website of Youtube. "Just do what you can do" is important, but you have to learn to recognize the level of effort or stretch you could get into. Your capability grows - only this last year am I getting close to touching the floor with my knees locked, and learning to relax in a head or shoulder stand, to just be there and breathe.

We stretch a lot in this class but do not do it much at home. But all our physical activities, even getting up from the TV chair to get another beer, are a lot easier! Some of it is just increased strength, but that's not a bad thing, right?