scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Why don't "the rest of us" need narrow tires like the pros race on? Some of the rest of us like to ride fast, and a 25mm tire is fast. If they weren't fast, pros would use something else.
If you are racing sure. But the speed difference is so small that it really does not matter to anyone not racing. Pro races are also generally on good pavement, something us regular riders may not have much of. When the pavement gets worse the pros go bigger. I use the exact tire setup that won Paris-Roubaix this year (30c GP5000 S TR's) so it can't suck too much.

Anyway 25c is perfectly fine, go for it. These differences really don't matter so much in either direction. I recently spent a week riding in the north bay on 25c tires and had a blast. The patchwork back roads were a nightmare but I made it.

Hey I just noticed a recent GCN video on this.
They compared 28 vs 32 (no 25) on the same stretch of road going same speed. The 28 were a bit better at high speeds, same at standard speeds. But, Si had 45 psi in the 32s which seems too low. They also mentioned that many TdF teams this year were on 28s, that was news to me.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 08-14-22 at 06:48 AM.
Likes For scottfsmith: