Old 08-24-22, 04:57 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
... but most records are set at major events because that's what the athletes were training to peak at. Just pointing out that your numbers are probably a little high for what the OP should expect in grassroots entry level racing.
Sure. At particular events, or on Strava. It is also very weather dependent and who shows up. Strava is about records, while races are about winning - they are different.

Pro 1 on TT Results (wmrc.org)
17-18 on road with restricted gears Results (wmrc.org)
Bummer is the adults were not restricted as the kids were. #2 in adult was a restricted gear junior on jr gears. So hard to compare anything.

I was and am quite disappointed that USA Cycling is pretty much about developing Euro/Olympic pros / and pushing PC agendas (particularly today - see LUXcycling).
They don't really have a system where kids can just race. The focus is all about "development" / something later vs having fun as a kid now.
They propose limits on: rim material, TT/Road bikes, where you can hold your arms, gears etc. They suck the fun out.
Sometimes this is done for coaching, sometimes for "safety", but I think mostly for control. They handicap kids when competing against adults. This is the only sport that I know of where in the same event one group is limited based on age. In general, it just made the whole thing a drag.

I pulled junior out and got him rowing. He hated rowing.

Last edited by Doge; 08-24-22 at 06:00 PM.