View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 04:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
"I am surprised at the recommended tire pressures of 50 lbs plus on these things."

Maximum pressures are not always the best pressure.
Personally, i've found the best ride is always less than max pressure... this applies to all types of vehicle tires.

another "discovery" along the way has been that Max pressure can INCREASE punctures because the offending object has no choice but to puncture when met with a rock hard tire......a Softer tire might just conform but not puncture.

and riding the shoulder is not the best route to avoid garbage that hurts tires....

Finally.. Slime tubes suck... the first time that Slime gets in the valve, the valve is RUINED.... the Slime will eventually harden and may cause a nasty hop at speed too... and then, there's the added WEIGHT, AKA: Rotating Mass, in this case.. a bike rider's worst enemy.

in the future, i'd suggest... buy Quality tubes, Find a pressure for your tires about 10 to 20% Below Max Pressure, and watch where you're riding.... oh, and learn to let the bike ride SOFT under your weight... Plopping your butt on the seat is NOT riding soft... letting the bike rock back and forth under your feet IS Riding Soft.:-D

Last edited by maddog34; 11-06-22 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For maddog34: