Old 11-15-22, 09:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Worthington State Forest is on the NJ side of the river, not that far away from Driftstone. $25 for out-of-staters. Very nice. Just have to be mindful of bears. There is also a place a bit above Portland, PA, that has inexpensive ($15) tent camping. It even has a pool. The tent area is away from the RV areas and completely wooded. That whole area has a limited season. It can get below freezing at night up there as early as early October. The rates reflect the relatively short season and the fact that it is a popular vacation area. I have a great option up that way. Some friends of mine have a place on the river just up the road from Driftstone.

I rode across PA again back in September. Stayed for free (in a lean-to) at a municipal, riverside campground.the first night. Paid something like $25 at a private campground for a site with water and electricity the second night. Spent three nights total at two state parks for around $20/night. Another private campground was $25 for a site with water and electricity. The biggest camping expense was for a site at a county park in Jim Thorpe, PA. $45 if you are not a county resident. IIRC, it's $25 if you are a county resident. I spent the final night near the river in Upper Black Eddy, PA, just off ACA's Atlantic Coast route. The owner of the place is very bike-friendly. $10/night. I have stayed there numerous times. He doesn't even make me register. I just drop my gear, search him out and hand him the cash.

And not everywhere in the east has oodles of traffic.

With all that said, yes, there are some crazy expensive sites. Last year, when I was planning my tour home from northern Vermont, I looked at the KOA in Goddefroy, NY. I had stayed there before (2018), so I knew it was on the high side. (Think I paid in the 40s for a riverfront site.) When I priced it last year, they wanted $97. Hard pass. Went off route a bit and paid around $45 for a super cool riverfront site with water and electricity. I was the only person down by the river on a weekday. Very pretty and peaceful.
Likes For indyfabz: