View Single Post
Old 02-05-23, 09:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
They should be much better than even the best dual-pivot rim brakes, but some of the cheaper SRAM/Avid brakes seldom live up to the promise. Pretty much any Shimano should "just work." However, new pads (possibly) and rotors (unless something is wrong, 1000 miles shouldn't be a problem with what you have) could go a long way to making it work better. If the brake levers feel squishy, or if there is some other obvious issue, a full bleed is warranted. It might be worth having a competent bike shop do this to begin with, so that you know everything is done correctly, and you will get an idea for how they are capable of performing.

I have no experience, but I think Red AXS HRD should work well, and nearly all SRAM uses DOT fluid, which is corrosive and harder to work with (I personally avoid SRAM brakes because of this).
Thanks. It is probably quicker to learn it myself. The pads are kind of shot already. I'm going to replace them and maybe do the fluid at the same time. (One problem I have not been able to solve yet is the caliper slowly moves on the fork despite having the specified torque and then this is a squealing pain to my ears), It can't be much different than bleeding the brakes on my car.