Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Glad to see you stoked on this.

A few comments:

First 3 rules to being successful in Masters track racing:
- Don't be fat.
- Don't be fat.
- Don't be fat.

I know it sounds stupid, but being heavy (even strong as hell and heavy) isn't as good as being on the average or lean side. Yes, larger leads to better gym numbers and better wattage numbers, but winning races takes more than strength. Being bigger hinders recovery on the bike and in the infield as well as hindering aerodynamics.

With gears that are common these days, you'll never touch 150RPM. So, touching 200 is great...but doesn't really help much. Focus on being smooth at 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, and 140RPM. Like holding those cadences for a several seconds at a time. You'll probably find one that creates an odd resonance that results in butt-bounce. Learn to smooth that out. Chances are you'll have to invoke some different muscles than normal.

ha ha yes working on that, seems to be diet mainly for me

Might be a daft question, but is there a target body fat percentage that’s optimal or is it “just don’t be fat” ?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I can see the gearings have got a lot bigger.

Is it as simple as squat, power work and bike sprints and bigger gearings and I will transfer the squat to the bike as long as my efficiency is good?

Thanks again

Chris