View Single Post
Old 11-04-15, 06:33 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by northerntier
Re the Rodriguez equivalent. I want: rohloff, gates, S&S, disk brakes (not BB7).

To get rohloff at Rod you have to start w/ the High-Roller Tour at $4800. Adding BB7, a shifter on the handlebars, and the gates drive is another $1000 (and I don't like BB7's, I want something else). Adding in couplers and a carrying case is another $1000. So you are looking at near $7000, vs $8000 for the Co-Motion. However, it's still not perfect: shifter position sucks, BB7's suck, it uses 26" wheels, etc.

Co-Motion is expensive, but you are getting a lot of bike. Rodriguez is nice as well, but not much cheaper. I also like the Salsa Fargo. It's much more affordable, has suspension, bigger tires, but isn't exactly what I want.
I agree that you'll most likely have to go custom to get all the things you want.

One great thing about working with R+E Cycles was flexibility on the build. They understand very well that people go to them because they have specific custom needs and/or need solutions. The options of fully-built models are just for those who are unsure of what they want or simply plan on upgrading later. Personally, I ordered most components from online stores and shipped directly to them for final assembly. If you do this, they'll make sure that everything you ordered fits and runs smoothly before shipping the entire bike to you.

About some of your desired specs:

* Rohloff - R+E has a lot of experience with them. They have built tenths of those over the years. In fact, it's my understanding that Todd B. (their Rohloff builder) trained at the actual Rohloff facilities in Germany.
* Gates - Yes. My frame is ready for Rohloff both Gates and chain drives. It even has a derailleur hanger in case you ever need to run a traditional derailleur drivetrain.
* S&S couplers - No problem at all. Perfect alignment on mine!
* Disc brakes - Yes. If you don't like BB7's or any other component, just place an order from any online shop and ship directly to R+E.
* 26" vs 29" wheels - The guys at R+E will happily modify the UTB geometry to fit 29" wheels. But as others have eloquently indicated, there are many great attributes to 26" wheels in regard to strength for off-road use and for ease of transportation with S&S case. You'll have the final word and the guys at R+E will comply.
* Shifter position - Just tell them exactly where you want it. This is easy for them to do.

I don't know about you... but I don't like to leave any money on the table. If I can save $1,000 bucks on very similar high quality builds, I'll take it!