View Single Post
Old 11-03-20, 12:18 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
There was a recent thread on eye protection. I wore photo-gray/transitions prescription lenses for years before cataract surgery and currently wear amber/dark sunglasses for road riding.

This is more specific to trail riding.

I am finding that even the amber is not always good for shadows, and worse for tunnels. I won't ride without some eye protection and I want UV protection. I am not looking for the best cycling glasses either.

But I would like to know if clear or yellow is better, or more of a toss-up? And which is better in direct sunlight?

And... How fast do polychromatic lenses change from dark to clear? My old photo-gray/transitions were not immediate.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John
Light amber and light blue are generally better for shadows than grey or mirrored. I prefer polychromatic but they take a minute or so to compensate for ambient light. Some of the newer polychromatic lenses have a larger color change but because of the time it takes to change back in shadows I'm not wild about them. Lately I've been using very light grey, But that is mostly because that pair of glasses keeps wind out of my eyes on fast descents.