Old 04-18-21, 12:36 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Yeah that soft crown has nearly put me down sideways a few times as well. I'm really loving these 40mm Maxxis tires, I'm starting to see that the middle tread of maybe 32mm is all that touches the road when going straight. Of course on gravel the contact pad is probably larger.

For the gravel segments I'll be on I could ride them at an acceptable pace probably. Though it would not be pleasant if it's freshly graded. Would probably scout those sections the day before.

As I gain back the spring form I've been putting in times close to what I did with the LeMond and 25mm tires. I feel far less beaten up! The LeMond excelled on the smooth rail trails but oh those frost cracks on the roads were brutal after 120 miles.

Nutrition wise I've gotten close to putting together a decent food intake of rotating 200 cal servings of rice/cream cheese cakes, hammer nutrition bars, white bread with soft cheese or butter/jam/PB. Mixing in 100 calories of HEED with my water. Been trying to get used to taking small bites and chewing well.

I'm getting excited about the nicer weather, soon I'll have a chance to get a good 4am start and aim for a 14 hour ride and see where I end up. After I manage to get at least 150 miles in then I'll really know if I want to go with some Rene Herse or not. Previous century attempts I ate too much too quickly around 60 miles and it put me off a bit the last 20 miles.